Many Web designers can get hung up with the technical and visual appearance of a blog. Whilst it is important to maintain reader usability and to make the experience as easy as possible for every visitor, the technical side of a blog’s design is not as important as the content and promotion of the blog.
Whilst the argument still rages over which blogging platform is best, WordPress or Movable Type, designers will be better off spending their time on the non-technical aspects of improving the SEO of their blogs.
With this principle in mind, there are six nontechnical ways to do just that.
- Write Better Content. Search engines rank the importance of your site according to the number of links your site receives from other sites. When everything else is boiled down, the search engines want to deliver the best information to surfers according to the keywords they are looking for and this is usually indicated by the number of websites that link to your content. If you write content that answers surfer’s questions, the more links you will receive and the higher the ranking you will achieve.
- Write Better Titles. The title is the first thing people see when they visit your site, so it is no wonder that search engines also rank page titles highly when it comes to assessing the value of your site. A title is like a headline in a newspaper, if it attracts a reader they will continue to read the rest of your article. But beware, there is no point in writing a title just for the sake of it, the content that follows must still be relevant.
- Use Social Bookmarking. One of the most valuable things you can do to increase your site’s relevance and ranking in the search engines is to promote your content. By using social bookmarking sites like Digg, Stumbleupon, Delicious and Yahoo! Buzz you can promote the value of your content by gaining your site more exposure. Social bookmarking sites also get your content indexed faster. In fact, there are many other social bookmarking sites you can use apart from the three mentioned here, the more the better. Don’t forget that the title of your content makes a big difference here.
- Use Social Media. By posting your article title and URL in the status update on Twitter and Facebook you can gain a massive amount of traffic and get additional exposure to your content as well. The importance of social media is demonstrated when you consider that Facebook recently surpassed Google as the most visited site on the Internet.
- Link to Your Blog. When it comes to ranking, the authority of your site is of vital importance to the search engines. The authority of your site is measured by Google in terms of PageRank, and PageRank is affected by the number of links you have to your blog. You can maximize the SEO value of your blog by linking capacity by linking to it from your entire site.
- Update Your Blog Regularly. The more quality articles you post the more pages your blog will have and this increases the authority of your site over time. You should post to your blog at least once a week, or, more often if you wish to build up your traffic and rankings more quickly.
Implement these six nontechnical steps and you’ll be well on the way to maximising the SEO of your blog.