Subleasing an apartment can prove to be a tricky and dangerous proposition. In most of the cases, it demands relying on people one has never met to take care of the apartment. Although majority of the sublets do work fine, but there are definitely a few points to keep in mind to be on the safer side while subleasing any apartment. This article discusses about the major safety tips for the same and they are listed in serial order as follows:
- Check with the landlord first: Not all the companies out there sublease in the same way. So it is suggested to check with the landlord before starting for the sublet search.
- Be nice to the landlord: Landlords are real persons and they too have human feelings. There is a very old saying that “you can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar” and it is absolutely true. So it is not a bad idea to be nice to the landlords so that they might put in some extra efforts to help.
- Start soon: This is necessary because as soon as one realizes that he/she needs to sublet an apartment, the search should begin. There is a thumb rule that is usually takes around 60 days to rent a place once known it is going to be available. So keeping that in mind, starting 60 days prior would be best.
- Give out Ads: Posting them can be of great help in many remote regions to create more awareness about the fact. It would automatically spread the word and make the work easier. These days Facebook and Twitter do not seem bad options either for this purpose.
- Schedule showings of the home: It has been evident that most of the leasing companies are not too keen to show the apartments themselves. But coordinating personally would help build repo with the clients and also give oneself a leg up.
- Always offer to pay some portion of the rent every month: This is something critically essential and one should mention this in the ads as well. It has been seen that people looking to sublet an apartment expect some kind of deal. If one can offer even a minute deal, he/she is likely to get better response rates than those who are not offering any kind of deal at all.
- Post ads quite often: as it would ensure the offers listed on the top where the most recent ads are usually placed. Thus posting ads too often would ensure a continuous dominance on the top ranks.
- Pay “Sublet fees” at times: As far as most of the rental companies are concerned, they charge a fee for subleasing. It is generally done to recoup the screening and processing costs. Paying the sublease fee becomes one less barrier and thereby makes it easier to commit.
- Honesty: is crucial in such an industry because there can be times when one can bend the truth about the apartment, the neighbourhood or anything else. It should be avoided at all costs or it would come back to bite.
- Note their objections and deal with them: If one finds someone who likes the apartment but is not feeling comfortable to commit, talk about their objections and deal in a very appropriate manner to overcome them.
These are the major important measures to keep in mind while subleasing an apartment.